Hopkins, wrote many poems about nature and God. Entwining the two, he wanted readers to be aware of God's wonderful gifts to human. God's Grandeur describes man, nature and how the two are entangled in a "one sided" relationship. "The world is charged with the grandeur of God" (Line 1). In his first line, he presents nature as a an electrifying gift from God. He goes into the relationship man has had with nature in lines 5-7; "Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;/And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;/And wears man’s smudge and shares man’s smell: the soil". In these lines he is describing man's involvement with nature. Hopkins is probably referring to the industrialization period of railroads being built, factories, buildings and more. The desecration of nature was inevitable in order for the Industrial Revolution to take place. Despite humans behaviors and because of God's grace, God continues to give back; "And for, all this, nature is never spent;" (Line 9). Inevitably, God, is a forgiving God and knows that we need natural resources. His protection from ourselves comes in the form of the Holy Ghost; "Because the Holy Ghost over the bent/World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings" (Line 14).
The "walk" of a Christian is not an easy road. I found God about four years ago. I always believed in a higher power, but "who" was the higher power never entered my vernacular. I didn't grow up going to church or reading the Bible. I knew God existed, but never knew he existed for me. I was always under the impression that only people who attended church were the ones who would receive blessings and eventually go to heaven. After associating myself with a "teaching" church, (opposite of preaching, I actually get the history explained and dissected) I realized the beauty and magnitude of God. I know that I sometimes use God as an "agent". Always asking for things, but never say what I will give back. This must have been the case for Hopkins realization of how humans were treating the gift of nature. That as human beings we can be selfish to the one power that treats us the best and is always willing to give, even when we a destructive . This poem was refreshing. Refreshing because I know a God who is loving, caring, forgiving and willing to do whatever, to sustain human life. It is a far cry from the God who I used to hear about (at other churches) who is all "fire and brimstone" and ready to cast people to hell at the drop of a dime! I'm going to try to see the beauty in all things that God has created and not just the wonderful things he has done for me. I am actually going to share this poem at Bible study as my personal testimony of finding God in the little things.
The "walk" of a Christian is not an easy road. I found God about four years ago. I always believed in a higher power, but "who" was the higher power never entered my vernacular. I didn't grow up going to church or reading the Bible. I knew God existed, but never knew he existed for me. I was always under the impression that only people who attended church were the ones who would receive blessings and eventually go to heaven. After associating myself with a "teaching" church, (opposite of preaching, I actually get the history explained and dissected) I realized the beauty and magnitude of God. I know that I sometimes use God as an "agent". Always asking for things, but never say what I will give back. This must have been the case for Hopkins realization of how humans were treating the gift of nature. That as human beings we can be selfish to the one power that treats us the best and is always willing to give, even when we a destructive . This poem was refreshing. Refreshing because I know a God who is loving, caring, forgiving and willing to do whatever, to sustain human life. It is a far cry from the God who I used to hear about (at other churches) who is all "fire and brimstone" and ready to cast people to hell at the drop of a dime! I'm going to try to see the beauty in all things that God has created and not just the wonderful things he has done for me. I am actually going to share this poem at Bible study as my personal testimony of finding God in the little things.
Denise,
ReplyDeleteGood first paragraph of commentary on Hopkins's poem, with some insightful analysis. Your second paragraph could demonstrate engagement with the poem if you connected your autobiography and spiritual journey back to the poem. I don't really see that you make the reconnection successfully, though. It is fine to talk about personal issues in these blogs, but since this is an English course you should always foreground or connect your personal discussion back to the literature.