The word 'hap' means "that which happens by chance". In the poem Hap by Thomas Hardy, the reflection that life is about things that happen via circumstance is apparent. He does not give God any credit to what happens in life and makes somewhat of a mockery of the Christian faith and belief that God even exists. It is not a poem that reflects anger at God or even the Christian faith. It is a summation joy and/or sorrow does not come from God, but rather the things that happen in life by chance. Essentially, humans are a casualty of life, determined only by their fate or luck.
In the opening of the poem Hardy mocks God; "If but some vengeful god would call to me/From up the sky, and laugh: Though suffering thing/Know that thy sorrow is my ecstasy,"..." (Lines 1-3). In these lines, Hardy asserts he would prefer to die with God mocking him and knowing that his pain and suffering were self induced. God is not capitalized in the poem which indicates the disrespect and disregard for a higher power. In the third stanza, reveals who the major players are in life; "But not so.../Crass Casualty obstructs the sun and rain." (Lines1&3). Casualty or chance or the major elements in deciphering happiness or sadness. The natural elements indicate the human emotional states that one feels. "these purblind Doomsters had as readily strown" (Line 13). A doomster is a person who reads off a judges sentence to a prisoner, or predicts disaster in the future. Purblind means blind from birth or half blind (p.1073). "Doomster"and "Crass Casualty" are capitalized. This infers that these elements are the predictors of how life is dealt.
Hardy's pessimistic view of life leaves me indifferent. I see the poem as a mockery of God and putting a lot of stock in the human actions. I don't believe things are just left to 'chance' or luck. The poem does not reflect that God is not present, however it does reflect that one would need to look at more than just God for the answers to life. In some aspect I can agree with that reasoning. When bad things happen, I have often heard the term; "God wants it that way" or "It's God's way of showing you...". I believe there is a lesson to be learned in both good and bad things that happen in life. To say that God ALLOWS bad things to happen is a little beyond me. Some things in life, we must chalk up to bad decisions, poor decision making skills or sometimes just plain stupidity. I do think that we can inject God in our events by asking questions. Putting some of the 'ball' back in one's court is what I rendered from this poem. At first, I was under the impression that Hardy took for granted that a higher power was in effect in the human life. Not, so, or rather "But not so,"(Line 9). He is present, he's just not as scary as we think he is. He is not the bearer of bad news. He allows time to determine what will happen in life. It's all about where we position ourselves and our minds that will determine our final outcome.
In the opening of the poem Hardy mocks God; "If but some vengeful god would call to me/From up the sky, and laugh: Though suffering thing/Know that thy sorrow is my ecstasy,"..." (Lines 1-3). In these lines, Hardy asserts he would prefer to die with God mocking him and knowing that his pain and suffering were self induced. God is not capitalized in the poem which indicates the disrespect and disregard for a higher power. In the third stanza, reveals who the major players are in life; "But not so.../Crass Casualty obstructs the sun and rain." (Lines1&3). Casualty or chance or the major elements in deciphering happiness or sadness. The natural elements indicate the human emotional states that one feels. "these purblind Doomsters had as readily strown" (Line 13). A doomster is a person who reads off a judges sentence to a prisoner, or predicts disaster in the future. Purblind means blind from birth or half blind (p.1073). "Doomster"and "Crass Casualty" are capitalized. This infers that these elements are the predictors of how life is dealt.
Hardy's pessimistic view of life leaves me indifferent. I see the poem as a mockery of God and putting a lot of stock in the human actions. I don't believe things are just left to 'chance' or luck. The poem does not reflect that God is not present, however it does reflect that one would need to look at more than just God for the answers to life. In some aspect I can agree with that reasoning. When bad things happen, I have often heard the term; "God wants it that way" or "It's God's way of showing you...". I believe there is a lesson to be learned in both good and bad things that happen in life. To say that God ALLOWS bad things to happen is a little beyond me. Some things in life, we must chalk up to bad decisions, poor decision making skills or sometimes just plain stupidity. I do think that we can inject God in our events by asking questions. Putting some of the 'ball' back in one's court is what I rendered from this poem. At first, I was under the impression that Hardy took for granted that a higher power was in effect in the human life. Not, so, or rather "But not so,"(Line 9). He is present, he's just not as scary as we think he is. He is not the bearer of bad news. He allows time to determine what will happen in life. It's all about where we position ourselves and our minds that will determine our final outcome.
Denise,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on having completed your 20th post. You should be proud of the work you have done in your blog. Good discussion and analysis of Hardy's poem in this final post, too.